With a long and interesting history in South Florida, Port Everglades, originally known as Lake Mabel or Bay Mabel Harbor (part of which now is also called Hollywood Harbor), was officially established as a deep-water harbor in 1927 by the Florida State Legislature and dedicated in 1928.
1911 - Florida Board of Trade passed a resolution calling for a deepwater port to ship farmers' produce to the north and west.
1913- Fort Lauderdale Harbor Company was formed and eventually dug out the Lake Mabel Cut, opening the New River to the sea for small boats.
1924- Joseph Wesley Young, founder and mayor of the City of Hollywood, bought 1,440 acres of land adjacent to the lake and created Hollywood Harbor Development Company.
1926 - Young helped get a $2 million harbor improvement bond measure overwhelmingly passed by voters in Hollywood and Fort Lauderdale.
1927 - Florida State Legislature establishes the Broward County Port Authority.
February 22, 1928 - 85 percent of Broward County's residents gathered for the official dedication ceremony. President Calvin Coolidge was to push a button fromthe White House detonating explosives to remove the rock barrier separating the harbor from the ocean. Nothing happened, but the barrier was removed shortly thereafter.
1929 - Fort Lauderdale dedicated its first airport. That same year, the Port projectwas completed and the Port obtained certificates for construction of a railway connecting the Port to the Florida East Coast Railway.
The SS Vogtland became the first cargo ship and first foreign-flagged vessel to enter Port Everglades.
1931 - Port Everglades welcomed United Fruit Co., as the port's first official cruise line.
AerolandOil Co. is the first petroleum company to enter into an agreement for land and pipeline easements. Belcher (Coastal Fuels), Standard Oil (Chevron) and American Oil (Amoco) follow suit.
1940s - The Port saw a burgeoning military presence. From 1941 to 1943, the Port was used as a military base for the U.S. Navy.
1950s - This decade brought cruise liners from around the world to the Port. During this time, the Fort Lauderdale Rotary Club began greeting ships with Florida orange juice. The tradition continued for 20 years.
1960s -The Broward County Port Authority was renamed the Port Everglades Authority and the site of the future Southport cargo terminal was purchased.
1970s The Port became the center of Florida's first Foreign-Trade Zone.
1980s - The Port purchased its first rail-mounted container gantry crane.
1990s -The Broward County Convention Center opened at Northport, two parking garages were completed and on November 22, 1994, Port Everglades' governance was transferred from the Port Authority to the Broward CountyGovernment and becoming a County enterprise fund.